Wednesday, January 19, 2011

It's What I've Been Working on Wednesday! necklace frame


I cannot, for the life of me, remember where I saw this idea (please remind me if it was on your blog & I will properly credit you!), but I loved it! I tried to find where I saw this by Googling "jewelry frame", but apparently this idea has been used in many forms! I'm a basic gal, and hardly ever wear makeup these day, or jewelry, but for some reason I feel naked without a necklace. I am easily distracted by shiny things, so most of my necklaces are pretty colors, and have crystals & beads, so making a jewelry frame appealed to me... takes up less space, and display my pretty baubles! I fell in love with this frame, that I bought for $1 at a rummage sale this summer, and have been saving it for just the right project. I used a piece of foam I had on hand, cut to the size of the frame. For the background I made a mini quilt out of some lightly felted merino I had, and stretched it over the foam & stapled it into place. I turned it over & my perfectly straight mini quilt was now a little crooked because my stretching was not even, apparently. So instead of taking the staples out & starting over, I left it like that, and it kinda looks good crooked, right?.... right?.... *crickets chirping*. Ok, ok, i'll redo it... sigh. Anyhow, I am really pleased at how it turned out! What do you think?

What have you been working on? As always, feel free to post your finished projects on my Facebook page!

3 comments:

Anne Magee said...

I love it! I've been wanting to make one of these myself using screen... love the use of wool, though!

Tina said...

I looks really cool! Emma got some bright frames from her gramma, so I might have to make a few of these for her. Very cool :)

Penny Luytgaarden said...

It's a great idea especially because it frees up space and because the frame and background are so beautiful...it's now a work of art on the wall...you may start buying fancy necklaces just to hang in your frame...ha, ha